EMG patch releases are software releases that contains only the binaries (executable programs). They are distributed as downloadable, compressed, tar archives.
In order to install a patch release you need to have a full distribution of EMG already installed.
If you upgrade from EMG 6 to EMG 7 for example you also need to upgrade the database schema (step 10 below). This may take a long time if you have large tables. Always perform a test migration before upgrading a production environment.
Below we will use a sample release distributed as the file emg705-44046-linux-64bit-binaries.tar.gz.
- Log on to your system as the system administrator.
- Find your current EMG binaries, for example emgd. They are usually located in /usr/bin (owned by “root”) or /home/emg/bin (owned by “emg”). You can also execute “type emgd”, which will locate the binary if it is in your current path.
- Download the patch release tar-archive, emg705-44046-linux-64bit-binaries.tar.gz and save it in the file system, for example in the /tmp directory.
- Stop emgd using “emgd -stop”, and then make sure there are no emgd processes running, “ps -ef | grep emgd”. All emgd processes need to be stopped before replacing the binaries.
- Backup your current binaries in order to be able to revert to these files if needed. Sample backup procedure:
cp /usr/bin/emg* /tmp/emg-backup.151001
- Extract the new binaries:
cd /home/emg/bin OR cd /usr/bin (depending on your setup)
tar xvzf /tmp/emg705-44046-linux-64bit-binaries.tar.gz
- Make sure they have appropriate owner and permissions:
chown emg emg* OR chown root emg* (depending on your setup)
chmod 700 emg*
- Verify that the new binaries execute ok (the command below should not give any error messages):
- Verify that the server configuration is ok (if not make required adjustments):
- Upgrade database schema, if necessary (for upgrades):
emgd -upgradesql (this will only show the sql statements that will be applied
emgd -upgradedb (this will actually run the sql migration)
- Start the server:
- Verify that the server is running:
ps -ef|grep emgd